Pages

Sunday 22 January 2023

ignite23 Days 8-9

After waking up late at 7am, I headed over to have breakfast, while taking the time to think over my choices for the day. I had nothing planned, but having been able to jump on an activity the previous day, I had high hopes of being able to jump on an activity.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to jump on an activity, so decided to head out to Mayfield to have a look around and shop for a bit (the town was part of our site, meaning we were able to visit it without scanning out anytime between 7am and 7pm). While Mayfield does not boast many stores, the few that it does have are well worth the visit - especially the Mayfield Op Shop. I headed over to it while I had the chance, and spent (more like wasted) a lot of time looking around. Boasting many treasures from crockery, to furniture, to clothes, books, glassware and a whole lot more. I spent some time looking at various knickknacks, before spending some time browsing in the clothes section for anything that I could use for the costume themes coming up (I didn't buy anything though, but I saw a lot of people who did). I did end up with a few books (just something to read while chilling out), before heading back to camp for lunch - with a stop at the cafe for an ice cream. Lunch was basic, just a roll and a piece of slice and fruit, while I started reading the first of the two books I bought. Taking a break from reading, I headed back out to the Mayfield Op Shop to keep exploring the outside section. It keeps on going and going, with not only the inside store but also a large exterior section with treasures in. Nothing eye catching for me this time round, so headed back to camp for dinner.

A few firefighters were doing a demonstration while we were all lined up, so we got to see what happens when we add water to an oil fire, and what can happen with overloaded plugs, while waiting for the dinner to be ready.

Talking with Brett (one of the West Coast Wonders leaders) led me to jumping on a spare spot on a night walk activity to Peel Forest. 

Only a 30-45 minute drive away from Mayfield and situated in an area with little to no cell coverage, Peel Forest was an old logging area, with remnants of logging still visible on the walk. We parked in the high carpark, walking down to the track, and completing a loop walk through some bush and some fields, before ending up in the Peel Forest Campsite before having to walk back up the hill to the carpark.


Heading back to camp, I scanned back in before heading over to the disco - a DJ playing music that night. I took a few photos of the disco, spent some time partying to the music, before heading to bed well after midnight like usual!

7:30am wakeup the next morning, with no plans for the day, I headed over to breakfast, before grabbing my book, and sitting in the dining marquee while I read. I ended up checking out the pool later on in the morning. 

Simple lunch again, before I headed over to the programme office to book onto an activity for the next day - Take a Hike, a good 3 hour hike. Out in Mayfield again to look back in the Op Shop, before back to camp and spending some time talking to Tim, before I got a phone call from my parents asking if I wanted to catch up while they were out and about in the area.

Meeting up at the local cafe meant I scored a free meal, while I got to show them some pictures and talk to them about my days so far. No chance for a look around the Op Shop before they closed, but we did get to have a walk around town, before it started bucketing down with rain while my raincoat and jacket were in my tent. I ended up huddling under a tree till the rain lightened a bit, before racing off to my tent to grab my jacket, and line up for dinner.

That night the act was a hypnotist, so I headed over to watch him - rather entertaining to see all the funny stuff he made the hypnotized people do. No recording was allowed, though many of us did manage to take videos of some acts before a staff member told us no recording. I headed past the dining marquee once the show was over, stopping in to see the silent disco which was going on - lots and lots of glowsticks used at it, before off to bed for me at midnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.