Pages

Saturday 21 January 2023

ignite23 Day 4-5

Following the long awaited 7 hours of sleep (what a luxury!), I rose, and headed over to the hall for breakfast and to pack my lunch, ready for the day ahead. Meeting at the minivans at 10:30am, we set off in our units for the main destination of the day - Lake Brunner.

Just after an hours driving, we finally arrived at our stop for the day - Moana and Lake Brunner. Combining a warm summer's day and New Years day meant that the lake was busy, but after managing to find a park, we met up with the other units and headed over the swing bridge (15 max limit, though I'm sure we went way over that at points) to stake our claim to a secluded section of pristine waterfront.
 

Grabbing my towel out, I began to sunbathe while waiting for other groups to arrive and for people to start going in the water. While waiting, the sun ended up looking like it had rings around it - I tried to snap a picture but failed.

Eventually changing into my swimming gear, I headed back down to the beach and went in to the water - albeit only half deep if I could, to avoid getting my neck brace wet. Continuing to stand around in the water, I eventually got out when Laurence called out that he needed volunteers to help bring some kayaks he hired around from the boat ramp.

Throwing my hand up, I headed around (wearing no shoes on a gravel path hurts) and helped carry the kayaks (4 doubles, with gear), down to the water, where I joined up with Benji (7 of us to paddle around, so 1 person going single) and lead to way out past the wharf and around the rocks to the far side of the river where we had set up our gear.


Back to sunbathing afterwards for me, till we finally started getting ready to go at around 3pm. Some of the girls in my unit wanted to go to the town or out shopping on the way back, but instead we just headed back to camp, arriving at 4pm (a move Patch later agreed was silly, seeing as how there were no activities on at camp till dinner).

Dinner followed by a quick dessert once we were all back meant that we had time to relax, before Laurence gathered up a group of people and led them down to a small creek to go eel hunting - with the tools of the trade being a piece of fishing rope, tied to an old sock with a piece of meat and a stone in.

Despite two eeling sessions that must have lasted a good hour plus in total, I never managed to catch an eel, though came close on several occasions, with them either not wanting to bite into the sock, or escaping before the rock I threw at them hit.

Admitting defeat, I headed back to camp, and turned in for the night, with a 6am wakeup the following day - reasoning, a 3-4 hour hike the following day.
 
6am came faster than I would have liked, but up I rose and started getting ready for the hike. Plenty of time to organize myself, grab breakfast, and pack lunch left me waiting outside the minivans at 8am, following Laurence's van out the campsite and onto the road, for the hour long drive to the beginning of the hike.

Stretching 6km long one-way, the Fox River tramp to the Ballroom overhang is an easy trail for the most part (until you get the stony riverbank and river crossings that is), though encountering a few muddy patches and rocks to clamber around is a common occurrence. I jumped on with the fast group, wanting to get the walk done and dusted before lunch (obviously).

 

Plunging into the river at the first river crossing, I quickly took the lead of those doing it and retained that lead for the remainder of the journey, only slowing slightly for the stony riverbank, and the 8 or 9 more river crossings left to go (I pity those who thought they could keep their shoes dry by taking them off and on again after each crossing).
 

Being the first to the ballroom overhang meant I was able to capture stunning views of not only the overhang, but also the landscape surrounding it. After a looong lunch (try a good hour and a half) while waiting for slower groups to turn up, I set off again heading out, walking with Laurence for the river, before catching up to Patch and sticking with him for the rest of the walk.
 

Having my watch run out of power was sad, but at least it managed to capture the majority of my walk, though it meant I wouldn't get anymore steps that day. Jumping in one of the first 4 vans, I headed off to the kayaking place ready for a kayak trip upstream and back.
 
Taking roughly 30 to 45 minutes, we kayaked upriver sticking to the left of the river, having to get out and carry our kayaks through at one point, before paddling around some rocks, and turning around a giant boulder and heading back downstream. After finishing the kayak trip, I took the time to dry off what I could, though I still had soaking wet socks and shoes.
 
While the 2nd group did their kayak trip, I joined up with some others and walked the kilometer-ish up the hill into Punakaiki. As we were walking in, I did catch sight of a crazy driver (James) in a van, without the boot closed so gestured to him till someone closed it. Stopping at the cafe/restaurant, I ordered a bowl of fries, and sat outside to enjoy it, before heading over to look at the Punakaiki rocks.



On the way in, I was told that we had to be back at the minivans by 6pm, so less than 3 minutes away when we were over a kilometer away. Making it back after 6pm, we organized ourselves back into our units, and headed off, with the chance to stop at the Punakaiki rocks on the way (so no need for me to have walked all the way there, grrr).
 
After a few pictures of the Punakaiki rocks, we headed back on the road, headed for Hokitika and the Warehouse. After a quick stop in at the Warehouse to top up on essentials - lollies of course, we made a quick stop in at McDonald's (making sure to tease the two people who work at a McDonald's and trying to get them to help out when it was slow), before beginning the 30 minute drive back to Ahaura.
 





Making it back after dinner had started, we ate quickly before the leaders started transforming the hall into a disco room - ready for the party that night. After watching both Patch and Wayne (another leader) get their hair dyed in some form, I headed over the disco party and spent some time enjoying the music and atmosphere while there. Heading off to bed around midnight, with the wakeup at 6am the next morning - not for any activity but to pack up, as we're traveling onwards to Phase 2 the next day!
Disco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.