Friday, 25 April 2014


On Thursday night we reached Tahiti. Our plane landed about twenty minutes early. The driver did not have much space in his car so we needed to go in a taxi. While we were waiting two more people arrived.  The people who were there as representatives for the people going on cruise ships were handing out leis when they found them. We had no one waiting to pick us up. We could not all fit in the car (a very small car, a four seater) because we had all our luggage with us. One of the people waiting for someone let us borrow his phone to ring the taxi driver. Once we got to the hotel called Pension de la Plage (Beach Pension) the driver of the vehicle that was meant to take us there took the two other people to their rooms. We paid the driver who drove the taxi a couple of thousand franc. The hotel is very active during the night. We tried calling out for Nana and tried looking for her because she said she would met us outside but she got too tired so she went to sleep in her room. The person who was meant to drive us there asked us what was our surname. Next he asked us if we were with our Nana so we said yes. He showed us to the rooms we were staying in. The rooms had names. Our rooms name was Maupiti and Maruu.It was about 10:30 when we arrived at Pension de la Plage. It gets light in Tahiti at six o'clock in the morning and gets dark at about six thirty in the evening.

On Friday we got up and had breakfast under a thatched roof with no walls so we could get some fresh air. The breakfast was next to the warm water pool. Once we had breakfast Karl and I went for a swim in the pool for about two hours. After the swim we got in the car and started driving. The first thing we saw was a Marae called Marae Arahurahu. The Marae had some coconut trees near it. Next we went to Marra Grotto. A Grotto is a cave with plants around it. After that we went to Bain de Vaima (a spring bubbling into a crystal clear river, very popular with locals, and with eels). One of the last things we looked at was Arahoho Blowhole. Once we got back to our hotel Karl, Papa and I went out in the lagoon and went swimming. After the lagoon we went back to the pool at our hotel and Karl and I went swimming.

On Saturday we went to Pape'ete to have a look around. Pape'ete is the capital of Tahiti and also the Capital of French Polynesia. We went to a church where the PK markers start marking the length of the island. Next we went to the Marche de Pape'ete, where you can buy ice-creams, fruit, meat, fish, materials, baskets, and lots more.  We got an ice-cream.  We saw the town hall then the ferry terminal building where the ferries leave for Mo'orea and other islands round Tahiti. We got on the ferry and went to Mo'orea. Once we got to Mo'orea we got a taxi to drive us round the island. He showed us his hotel with a beach outside it.  That beach had really white sand.  Once we got back from Mo'orea we went across the road to where they sell the best crepes in Tahiti.  I had crepe avec chocolat et banane. We dipped our feet in the pool at our hotel after we had dinner.

On Sunday morning, Karl & I did not have any breakfast because we had eaten so many easter eggs then went swimming.  After Papa, Mama & Nana had eaten their breakfast, we all went to a local church.  It was a Catholic church, and the songs were in French and Tahitian, and the priest spoke in French.  We had to leave a bit before the end so that Papa could settle the bill at the Pension.  We then went back into Pape'ete to see more.  We tried to see King Pomare V tomb, but it was fenced off.  We did the Presidential Palace, the Vaima Hospital and the Pharmacists House (an old 2-storey colonial house).  Also, we saw the Queen's house.

After that, we returned to the Pension where Karl & I swam in the pool for a while before Papa took us over the road to the lagoon.  We saw a school of fish which I chased and an eel.  Mama & Nana stayed at the Pension and swam in the pool there.  The water in the lagoon, and in the pool, was warm.

We had dinner at the creperie again, then had an early night.  At 3.30 in the morning, we got up and went to the airport.  We were the first to check in.  Our plane left at 7.35am Tahiti time, and took about 5 hours 40 mins to get back to Auckland.  We left on Monday morning and arrived on Tuesday morning, because we crossed the international date line.

Tahiti was hot and muggy.  There were lots of dogs, chickens, roosters, coconut trees, people selling food on the side of the road.  Lots of people, especially the locals, go to beaches and rivers to swim and keep cool.

For more information, go to the sites listed below:


Marjo Plessius said...

Robin wat een mooie tijd op weg naar huis. Ik lees dat je wel genoten heb. Al dat lekkere chocolade en pannekoeken, zwemmen zo leuk.

Het was ook heel fijn om je weer te zien bij Oom Ron en Tante Norma.

Veel liefs van Oma en Opa xoxoxox

Angelica Fakahau said...

Hi Robin did you had a great vacation with your family.

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs Sigamoney said...

You give a good description of you travel overseas. What a great experience for you. I would really like to go there one day.

Post a Comment